Saturday, July 14, 2012

UCL students help to conserve a piece of London’s history

Since January 2012, students from the UCL Institute of Archaeology have helped, along with Nimbus Conservation, to manage and conserve the Billingsgate Roman Bathhouse in London. Following their work, the bathhouse is set to open for public viewing for the first time on 14 July.

The bathhouse is believed to date from the 2nd or 3rd century AD, and was first discovered in 1848 by workmen building the Coal Exchange on Lower Thames Street. It has since been preserved in the basements of buildings on the site, and was one of the first Scheduled Ancient Monuments in the City of London.

Building upon the conservation work carried out by Nimbus Conservation and UCL students in 2011, the aim of the project was to contribute to ensuring that the bathhouse is enhanced, shared, and preserved for future generations.