Monday, July 09, 2012

Ancient Roman Cinema Projector? I Hae Me Doots Big Time

This has been an aggravating post to get out … first of all, tip o' the pileus to Richard Campbell for alerting us to this story early this a.m.; a pox on my slow internet connection which prevented me from writing while it was still fresh in my mind. Now I see the story popping up in my Twitter feed and it's bugging me even more. The story seems to be breaking in Filmaker Magazine, which is a magazine devoted to independent film, in a blogpost with an extremely provocative title: DO ANCIENT ROMAN ARTIFACTS REVEAL THE WORLD'S FIRST MOTION PICTURE PROJECTOR?

After a brief intro to the thing, folks can watch a youtube video which is designed to promote/drum up funds for a project. Here's the video (and it really should be watched in its entirety … and listen very carefully!):

If you listened carefully, there is a pile of stunning doublespeak about a 'multimedia installation' about a 'speculative archaeological discovery in Zadar' which 'may be' the world's first cinema projector. I don't know about you, but I've never heard of the phrase 'speculative archaeology' before, so alarm bells should be going off. Immediately after telling us that archaeologists are divided about the Antikythera Mechanism (which suggests this guy doesn't keep up with research) we are told that a coin found 'nearby' supports his claim (shades of some Talpiot Tombs, no?). So here's the coin, supposedly, with one side which says Inventori Lucis ("to the contriver of light" … all pix can be clicked for larger versions):

via http://rogueclassicism.com/2012/05/29/ancient-roman-cinema-projector-i-hae-me-doots-big-time/