Saturday, April 21, 2012

Megalensia: The sixth day…

Today is the sixth day of the Megalensia, the last day before the "big day" itself of Magna Mater's dies natalis and the great celebrations for her, as they were celebrated in ancient Rome. It was the "Roman Spring Break," for certain! Rather than focus on the galli, as I did last year, or continue with the Thracian exegesis that I have been doing for much of this week, I thought I would take the implicit theme of discussing the galli–namely, the role of Magna Mater in the lives of everyday people and her most ardent devotees of the past (and hopefully today as well!)–and expand upon it. I've been planning to do this for the past few days, at very least, and that is what I shall do here; but, I'd like to begin with a dream that I had today, which I think illustrates some of this concept–and in a very odd and totally unexpected fashion.

http://aediculaantinoi.wordpress.com/2012/04/09/megalensia-the-sixth-day/