Friday, July 01, 2011

Rosemary Sutcliff speaks to BBC Radio Times

As I wrote first here in March 2010, when the BBC TV series of Rosemary Sutcliff‘s historical novel The Eagle of the Ninth was broadcast on TV, the BBC’s Radio Times wrote of her approach to children, books, the Romans and her hero Marcus – ‘part of me was in love with him’, she said.

Her passion for the Romans stemmed from her own childhood, when her mother read aloud to her from books like Rudyard Kipling‘s Puck Of Pook’s Hill.  The three Roman tales entranced her.

“I didn’t read myself till the last possible minute, about nine. I was brought up on Arthur Weigall’s Wanderings In Roman Britain and Wanderings In Anglo-Saxon Britain. He mentions this eagle dug up at Silchester and I’ve been fascinated by it since I was five”.

The Radio Times journalist wrote of Rosemary: “She writes, superbly, of adventure, battle, young warriors. Rosemary Sutcliff’s conversation is rapid and merry and very funny”.

More at RoseMary Sutcliff

 
SwordsFromSpain.com

Your Ad here