Friday, May 27, 2011

Vindolanda, The Road Back

Vindolanda was a Roman auxiliary fort located ...Vindolanda Fort
I always enjoy my sojourn on the Roman frontier. I even like the muddy slogs with the wheelbarrow up the spoils mountain on a day when finds are few and the Goddess Fortuna is giving me the cold shoulder.

Generally I am planning my return while still in the air over the Atlantic.

I know the road back. And I mean that quite literally.

The Roman fort of Vindolanda sits on the Stanegate road built in the first century to run east west across the barbaric province of Brittania. My walk to the site each day is literally in the footsteps of the Romans, the current country lane either being the original route or within a few feet of it. Note the ruler straight layout, which suggests a Legionary engineer laid it out rather than some bare footed peasant driving baulky cattle.

More at Detritus of Empire
Enhanced by Zemanta