Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Decline of the Roman Empire

Last time I discussed the problems I encountered when trying to make sense of Twelfth Night.

This time I chose a tragedy.

My edition of Twelfth Night was a mass market paperback in the “New Folger Shakespeare Library,” which is a user friendly series that is beneficial for the Shakespeare neophyte.

The edition has the text of the play on the recto with scene commentary and definitions on the verso. While I like this format a lot, it would probably become a crutch if I continued using it on a regular basis. I found my eyes continually wandering to definitions that I probably would have picked up myself based on context. The scene summaries at the beginning of each scene were nice as well, but are not (and should not) become a regular part of reading the play.

More at  Omnia Omnibus